Against a backdrop of rising interest and mortgage rates making home ownership increasingly financially challenging, the demand for quality rental product is nearing recent all-time highs. We also believe that renting should not be considered a second-class tenure and are passionate about creating a positive experience for all our customers.
We currently manage three Living strategies focused on alleviating the chronic housing shortage across the UK by delivering vibrant neighbourhoods and regeneration projects with social value at their heart.
Our funds are managed on behalf of a diverse mix of investors to deliver suburban build-to-rent/single family housing, affordable homes and urban regeneration projects across the UK.
We are agile and ambitious in our approach, as we look to build on these existing strategies and add new ones.
New Avenue Living
Size of fund: £200m+
Strategy: Forward fund, lease and hold
Investors: Strathclyde Pension Fund, Scottish National Investment Bank, Nationwide Pension Fund, Places for People Scotland
This is our thematic investment strategy centred around utilising igloo’s development and placemaking expertise to deliver thriving communities that generate returns over the long term. This strategy is built on the igloo Regeneration Fund established in 2001 by Aviva and igloo Regeneration Ltd, and acquired by Thriving Investments, formerly PfP Capital, in 2018.
Driving Social and Environmental Value
Our track record of incorporating ESG investment considerations into our strategies, from unlocking value through placemaking and brownfield site regeneration to the creation of energy efficient homes as part of thriving communities, has resulted in the following headline attributes across our product.
• Institutional capital investment driving professional management of rental homes
• Acquisition criteria for homes to be within affordability range for average incomes and proximity to public transport
• Rolling programme of retrofits
• Green energy tariffs offered to customers
• Focus on EPC A or B and improving EPC ratings on existing homes
• Professional property management with residents access to a 24-hour helpdesk
New Avenue Living
• Converting 100% homes, previously intended as full market rental homes, to discounted rent for keyworkers (equivalent to between 50-75% of market rent)
• Homes in urban locations that allow keyworkers to live close to places of work
• All homes EPC B or above
• Remediation of brownfield land preferred
• Apprenticeships and job creation on site
• PV in place to provide energy for common areas; additional focus on further on-site energy generation for newer schemes
• Introducing EV charging on several new developments
• Working with community groups to access support from our Places Foundation
• igloo is an award winning B-Corp accredited organisation
• Delivering placemaking and community-led solutions using proprietary Footprint® methodology
• Addressing need for carbon-minimal social housing solutions
• Targeting Zero Bills Homes by 2026
• Brownfield developments sites are prioritised
• Providing a platform for public sector partners to unlock land, deliver social and economic outcomes with financial returns
• Pipeline of developments across key UK cities